I got this from a prostitute. (Yes really.) I hope I have time to try it out this year.
Christmas Rum Truffles
150g (5 oz) dark chocolate
2 tablespoons of dark rum
150ml (¬º pint) double cream
24g (1 oz) butter
The peel from 1 orange
2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon of plain flour
1 tablespoon of cocoa powder
toasted nuts (optional)
1. Break up the chocolate and melt in a saucepan on a low heat, along with the cream and butter, and the cloves.
2. Grate the orange peel directly into the saucepan using a cheese grater; add a squeeze of juice if you like. After a few minutes, stir in the rum and add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
3. Keep stirring for about 3 minutes, then pick out the cloves and transfer the mixture to a bowl, and place this in the fridge overnight.
4. The next day, dust a wooden board with the flour, and sprinkle some cocoa powder and the remaining cinnamon over it too. If you’re using toasted nuts, keep them on a plate nearby.
5. Take heaped teaspoons of the chilled truffle mixture and roll into small balls with your hands. Roll these in the flour/cocoa/cinnamon mixture (and then in the nuts if you like) and plop into petit-four cases.
Chill until ready to serve.